Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Freecycle Houston

Freecycle is a grassroots environmental movement whose goal is to recycle and reduce waste and landfill space by connecting people who are throwing away unwanted items with others who are seeking the same items.

No item is too big or too small; but since this is a FREEcycle list, ALL items must be 100% free.
No bartering, trading, buying or selling is allowed.

This has worked out great for me, trying to get rid of an old desktop, that still works great, but has been replaced by a laptop. 10 people responded right away and a lady that wanted it for her gradeschool child offer to picked it up right away. I was also looking for a bike and posted this on there and a lady offered me one of 2 bikes she had just sitting around, with just a little bit of work to be done on them.

This is good stuff! Try it and make some room in that cluttered attic, closet, and/or garage. ;) ITS FREE!

SOURCES:
+ Houston Freecycle
+ "Freecyle" in other areas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I unable to join the Houston Freecycle group? I am signing in with my yahoo id, and I click to join. I am told I must create a Yahoo profile, which I've done. Then I try to join the group again, and am again told I must create a Yahoo profile. I tried signing out and signing back in, rebooting my computer, all that stuff. And I am still unable to join. Help?

Lu said...

i just went through this process myself and found that for somereason i hadn't filled out everything correctly or the security letters i saw where not the letters i typed in so i had to go through it several times.

Start by logging into your yahoo account first then go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HoustonFreecycle/join

hopefully it will work easier.

Lu said...

Also after you have submitted your application you should get an email that asks you to respond to a couple of questions ( i think to make sure it's not spam) so make sure you put an appropriate email address in your yahoo profile where you will get the email. (doesn't hve to be yahoo email)

Anonymous said...

I just received an e-mail from YahooGroups telling me that my request to join the Houston Freecycle group had been denied! I have no idea why. In my request to join I mentioned that I had participated in the group a few years ago (pre-YahooGroups) and wanted to rejoin because I had some furniture that I wanted to give away. I don't understand why that would be offensive or threatening to the group.

Now I've got to find someone who wants to come and pick up my perfectly beautiful solid cherry armoire that cost me big bucks at Star Furniture quite a few years ago. Grrr. As you can tell, I'm kind of ticked off about this.